High-tech industrial progress leads to growing generation of hazardous carbon and glass fiber waste in production processes and with end of life of products (wind rotor blades, airplanes, ...). Currently materials containing these strategic materials are disposed of in landfills, an expansive state of the art which requires innovative technology to be solved. The European Commission Circular Economy Action Plan presents a set of interrelated initiatives to establish a strong and coherent product policy framework. Disposal of these materials will be forbidden in Austria (2022) and in the EU (2025) but in fact there are no technologies available yet to tackle this issue.
DESCRIPTION OF THE SOLUTION:
The mobile recycling solution consists of a collection pod and a cleanup unit. Within the collection pods carbon and glass fiber containing materials are collected. The pods contain technology that is capable of automated, high quality classification of the collected material. This classification enables an economic reuse of carbon and glass fiber materials bringing back today´s hazardous waste to the state of a valuable material (sunglasses, furniture, technical parts, C-donor in steel). The filling level and the material classification can be monitored via an online solution. Subsequently the classified material is shred on-site in the patented cleanup unit. The technology is certified to treat, recycle and reuse carbon and glass fiber materials in a dust free sealed system without generation of hazardous, respirable fibers on-site. The mobile devices can be installed temporarily or permanently on-site to collect, classify and shredder scrap.
Technology is certified to treat, recycle and reuse carbon and glass fiber materials according to Austrian regulations. Corresponding international certifications are in progress.
Austrian Innovation Award
1) Industrial sectors:
- Wind turbines
- Sports (Tennis, ...)
- Carbon fiber mat manufacturers
And all type of industries using carbon or glass fiber materials
2) Company types:
- Manufacturers (Production scrap)
- Companies using products containing carbon and glass fibers (End of life)
THE AUSTRIAN COMPANY IS NOW LOOKING FOR:
Companies with a need to treat carbon or glass fibers and waste service providers treating this kind of materials. Depending on the type of company (business, know-how, ...) the Austrian company is interested in commercial agreements with technical assistance, joint venture agreements and license agreements.
Advantages & innovations
The technology represents a solution to a problem for which there is no alternative solution available yet.
Detailed advantages are:
1) No need for expansive landfilling of hazardous carbon and glass fiber containing waste
2) Automated classification of carbon and glass fiber containing material -> sorted recycling carbon grades
3) Enabling of re-use. Turning trash into valuable materials.
4) Dust free sealed system for downsizing on-site. No emissions of hazardous carbon fiber containing dust.
5) Robust process
6) Process fulfills environmental legislation
7) Reduction of CO2 emissions via low energy consuming equipment, minimization of transport costs and closed material loops.
8) Mobile solution that can also be installed permanently
Stage of development
Prototype available for demonstration
1) Companies with a need to get their carbon or glass fiber containing materials treated:
Commercial agreement with technical assistance. Parts from the production process could be sent in advance so that the company from Austria can create a collection and recycling concept.
2) Waste service providers treating carbon or glass fiber containing materials interested in integrating this technology into their portfolio.
Companies capable of operating the developed technology and with the necessary expertise regarding re-use of collected and treated material -> License agreement
Companies active in the field of waste collection and waste treatment lacking the necessary know-how for carbon and glass fiber re-use -> Joint venture agreement with the Austrian company as consultant providing the missing expertise.